Client: Lincoln Holdings
Construction: 1999 – 2000
Munkenbeck+Marshall project, Stephen Marshall Partner in charge
Originally designed by Sir Denys Lasdun, this tower block was built in 1959 as 64 low-cost stacked maisonettes for Tower Hamlets Council. The main problem with the project like so many of its era was access. The lift was completely external and could be approached from any corner of the site. For this reason the ground level and lift entrance was open to strangers and vandals and was not a pleasant setting for an unusual building. As well as updating the flats, we provided a new design for the landscaping and entrance lobby. All flats are sold and inhabited. The scheme was awarded a RIBA award in 2002.